Saturday, December 17, 2016

Christmas Decor Vol.1 - Christmas Planter

Merry Christmas! And Happy DIY projects to all!

Like all, I stress over holidays. Presents for husband and daughter, in-laws and teenage nieces and nephews, co-workers, teachers, bus-driver... the list just never end. But I also want my house to look festive and inviting, holiday inspired and cozy. So in this post I would like to share some DIY projects for this wonderful time of year.

Christmas Planter (I display it indoors, but photos are so much more beautiful in the outside light and... snow)


My Honey-Do husband made this box/planter for me in no time from a pallet. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is amazed by the re-use of pallets! If you are handy with the saw and nail-gun yourself (I'm not), this is quick project. I helped by rough sanding the edges and smoothing out corner. 
Once box/planter is ready, the rest is up for your imagination. 

Recommended materials:
  • Dry Foam (to fill in the bottom of a planter)
  • Pine Cones (me and my daughter collected it in the nearby forest; closed at first, they open up in the warm room)
  • Variety of Artificial Christmas Decoration 
  • Tea Candles
  • Birch logs (big candles can be expensive and I'm always on a budget - I wondered if I could make tall "candle holders" out of birch logs. My husband came up with an idea of drilling "nest" for a tea candle inside the birch by using 1 1/2 Woodboring Spade Drill Bit)      



And here you go. Experiment with size and materials. I'm sure this planter box can be used all year long just by changing decorations according to the season. I cannot wait for the summer - I will be filling this pallet planter with flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment